Why your Carpet Cushion Matters
April 23, 2020
Carpet cushion, also known as underpad, undercushion, padding, cushion or underlay, is often the most overlooked part of purchasing and installing new carpet. Although you do not see the carpet cushion, it is hard working and important for the longevity of your carpet. Just like how not all carpets perform the same, not all carpet cushions do either.
Your carpet cushion does much more than cushion your steps when you walk on your floor, it also does the following important jobs:
- Acts as a buffer between the carpet and the subfloor, allowing fibres to bounce back and retain their appearance
- Will feel better underfoot
- Keeps most common household spills from penetrating the cushion or subfloor
- Extends the useful life of your carpet
- Protects your carpet investment
- Makes a less expensive carpet feel more luxurious
- Absorbs sounds and reduces noise
- Makes cleaning and maintenance more efficient
Many carpet cushions available today have additional features that are worth the money. Stainmaster Carpet Cushion for instance is available with Odour Guard Technology, which helps reduce odours caused by most common household spills and pet accidents. Also available with antimicrobial treatment to help resist bacteria, mould and milder in the padding for those with allergies. The right carpet requires the right cushion for your lifestyle.
We know it can be hard to justify spending the extra money on something that goes under your carpet that you will never see but it is worth spending a little less on your carpet and a bit more on a quality carpet cushion.
And yes, you almost always must replace the carpet cushion when installing new carpet.